Job Title: (Senior) Director, Legal
Reporting To: Senior Vice President, Legal
Contract Term: Fixed-Term (initial term of 2 years)
Location: Ditton Park Campus, Datchet
Activision Blizzard has been writing video game history since 1979. Our portfolio, developed by our incredibly talented teams, includes some of the strongest franchises in all of entertainment (including Call of Duty, Destiny, Skylanders, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone and Candy Crush). Our entertainment network has more than 500 million monthly active users in over 200 countries, and we’re continuing to expand our capabilities across new platforms, genres, audiences and geographies.
Through our five key operating units; Activision Publishing, Blizzard Entertainment, King Digital Entertainment, Activision Blizzard Studios and Media Networks, Activision Blizzard is combining video games on console, PC and mobile, together with eSports and TV & film, as we continue to be one of the most influential and successful interactive entertainment companies in the world.
Our road to victory begins with Talent! Click to explore what it's like to work at one of the world's leading entertainment companies - www.abpeoplefirst.com
This role includes but is not limited to the following tasks/duties*:
The Legal Director will be an additional member of the International Legal team, which covers the legal work for the Activision group outside of North America.
The role will focus primarily on both management of their team and also contractual and commercial work for the International business and in particular commercial, retail, distribution, licensing agreements. It will also include corporate and employment work (such as drafting employment agreements, developing new policies as required, workplace investigations, and management of international corporate entities).
As part of the remit of the International Legal team there will be some responsibility for International Studios based in Asia, UK and Ireland.
The position is both strategic and operational. Each of the lawyers in the International Legal team is responsible for legal work in certain allocated territories acting as a “general counsel” for the relevant territory and working with the senior management for those territories.
In addition, each lawyer also has certain core functional specializations (such as Esports, Consumer Products, Competition Law, Marketing, Intellectual Property, Litigation, Digital Distribution, Employment, Privacy) and acts as the general in-house expert/sets best practice for that specialization across the International Legal team and territories.
The Legal Director shall also be responsible for managing external counsel, including local budget responsibility in the assigned areas of responsibility.
The Legal Director shall also have some direct line responsibilities.
The workload is diverse and demanding due to the requirements of the business and the market sectors in which the Company operates.
• Honours degree and qualification in law /practising certificate
• Qualified in private practice with a leading law firm, plus international in-house experience
• In-house legal experience to include IT / Content / media / e-commerce exposure
• Experience with all or a majority of the following areas of law:
o Technology, IT and R&D
o IP, in particular copyright and trademarks
o Corporate/Corporate Governance, Compliance and Competition work
o commercial contract law (including drafting, preparing and negotiating contracts)
• Experience of a multi-jurisdictional business or legal function
• Ideally some interest in games, content, and /or technology
• Well organised professional with strong time and priority management skills, able to get things done in a creative, commercial and pioneering (i.e. sometimes unstructured) environment
• Socially skilled, experienced or interested with working with people from a range of cultural and professional backgrounds
• Additional languages also a plus.
• Ability to influence and have impact
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills: able to build relationships (internally and externally) and trust with business leaders
• Confident with a strong personality and commercial sense, as well as Pragmatic and solutions oriented
• Inquisitive, Independent with a strong sense of responsibility and international attitude.
• Willing to travel abroad
Based in Ditton Park, our Campus houses a number of great amenities as well as transport links. The Parkland settings offer; tennis courts, an onsite gym, canteens and cafes, on onsite crèche etc. It is conveniently close to Junction 5 of the M4 giving a direct links to central London, the M25 and Heathrow airport. Free shuttle buses also run from both Slough and Datchet train stations.
* The video game industry and therefore our business are fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.